Sunday, February 10, 2013

To Read or Not To Read

Sadly, I don’t have much to show or share with you this week. On the photography & crochet front it’s been pretty quiet. Reading has consumed most of my time & energy, not that that’s a bad thing! I love reading! Oh and if you are a fan of X-Men and haven’t yet read the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi then I highly recommend you do! She is an incredible writer. Her writing is so poetic. So far this year my reading total is 7….not bad but I had planned on reading 80 books. I don’t see that happening. I've just started reading BeautifulCreatures by Kami Garcia. It’s been on my to-read list for so long but I just never got round to it and now it’s a must-read because the movie comes out this week and my fiancé (I’m still not used to saying that) is treating me to lunch and a movie! I’m on 23% and I've got 3 days left to finish it! While watching the trailer on youtube, I came across the trailer for The Host by Stephanie Meyer…another to-read that has been moved up the list! I hadn't realised the movie would be out so soon! 

I did eventually get around to doing some crochet but it was mainly just slip-stitching the last few rows on the mini rainbow solid granny square blanket. I started the border yesterday. I've got one more row to do, some ends to sew in & then it’s done. I might actually do a post for it in the middle of the week…depends on how things go! I've had a bit of a problem with the border. I will be sad to say goodbye but at the same time I love the fact that someone liked my crochet enough to actually want to buy it! People often don't realise how much hard work goes into crochet projects so it’s nice when it gets appreciated! I've also started crocheting a few hearts. Seeing as Valentine’s Day is coming up and it falls on my volunteering day, I thought it’d be nice to make a few little things to put in the shop. My yarn bag is currently overflowing with scraps to play around with!

The cats were their usual happy selves this week! With this winter weather hanging around, they have become serious heat seekers and so we are constantly fighting for a seat & blankets in our house! Even my new yarn bag has been used as a bed! They did get a little spoilt this week. We got these cardboard houses with scratch mats & also some cute little tents...easy to clean and a great hideaway for our fury friends. Catnip & treats were in steady supply too! We sometimes forget that our oldest (she's the chocolatey black one with no white) cat still loves catnip. She was the first cat & adopted us about 8 years ago. She has no teeth, can hardly see or hear but is still chuffed with life! You'd be surprised what she can eat! Life would be so boring without these beautiful fury friends.
One thing I have been loving this week is hot pancakes, cut up & mixed with a bit of maple syrup/honey and some butter! So lush, especially after being out in the cold for a few hours! This week, I decided to get back into the habit of getting up really early just so I can enjoy those few extra hours of peace & quiet. It's so worth it but not always easy because of the unavoidable late nights but I don't mind making the sacrifice if it means I can get some reading done & the bread-maker on early! <----This does not always go to plan when someone accidentally turns the bread-maker off before it starts to bake! Luckily we managed to salvage it!

And lastly, I did do some baking & cooking this week! We're going for easy meals at the moment because no one is really in the mood for food. Chicken is always an easy solution with a bit of potato and veg added into the mix! I attempted the lemon cake again and it came out a bit better. It was fluffy but the syrup wasn't strong enough and didn't soak in enough. So syrup the first time was better but cake the second time was better! Yesterday, just before the rugby started (more of those results please Wales!) I decided to bake some lemon drizzle muffins! Yum! They had just the right amount of zing! I bought some cake pop trays last night so can't wait to try those out! I won't be able to dip them in chocolate though! 40 days without chocolate so far! Only 45 days lefts!

Ok, so that was my week! Hope your week was more eventful! I'm finding this blogging thing to be very therapeutic. It's great to be able to share stuff! Wishing you all the best for your week ahead! Hope to see you back here next week! x

5 comments:

  1. Hi darkrose! I love that rainbow square you're making, it's so bright and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) it's finished now and I'm missing it already! When I first started I honestly never thought anyone else would like it!

      Delete
  2. Love the raibow-ness but what I would realllly love is to know how you made the hearts! They are some of the best-shaped ones I've seen! Andrina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I will try making a few more and writing it down this time but I think it's pretty much down to the slip stitching along the edges in a different but complimenting colour :) I know what you meant though ;) I've tried so many of the heart patterns & been disappointed when mine doesn't come out like theirs!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I 'll be watching to see if instructions pop up somewhere on here! :) Andrina

      Delete